Sunday 8 January 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 7: Gate Stitch

Happy New Year, and welcome to a new year of stitch explorations and stitch adventures.

Stitch no 7 is called Gate Stitch and is one of the many Canvas Stitches I have found in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.
I have not found a Swedish name, in French it is called Point de Porte. (Thank you Mattia).
Actually it is not an entirely new stitch to me; I worked a few of these gates on my piece Pile 'em On, last year.

In spite of looking advanced it is an easy stitch made up of straight lines, and it does certainly look like a gate!


First make four vertical stitches, then a cross and finally a horisontal stitch. On the next 'gate', the horisontal stitch is one level lower. The gates can also be placed without a gap and you then have a good filling stitch. In Mary Thomas's book the stitches are also placed at different levels making a nice pattern.

Here they are in a row with gaps on Aida.

Homework:
Fill one of these boxes with Gate Stitches (no gaps and at different levels). 

14 comments:

Pamela said...

I like this stitch and will try it as soon as I can stitch again!

chitra said...

lovely. seems like an easy stitch. This is the first time, I have seen or heard of this stitch.
Chitra

Queeniepatch said...

it is easy, quick and fun.

Queeniepatch said...

It IS an easy stitch, and you will expand it in many ways, I am sure. I hope you have a chance to stitch in the cool evening park.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Another one to remember.

carorose said...

I will be interested to see what you do with it.

Queeniepatch said...

Just think drawing with pencil and you will remember how to stitch it.

Queeniepatch said...

The most obvious is of course to make a gate!

margaret said...

this is a great counted stitch

Annet said...

Thanks for introducing me to this stitch. I already played with it on Aida and I'm planning to try it on my needlepoint sampler too.

Janie said...

Good choice, it turned out great.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes,s and it is pretty, too.

Queeniepatch said...

Great. Easy, isn't it?

Queeniepatch said...

After having finished my homework I now know how the stitch can look very different when used as a filling stitch.