Sunday 30 November 2014

TAST # 140 Threaded Cable Chain Stitch

This is the last TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday, read all about TAST at Pintangle) stitch of 2014, but we hope to learn many more next year. The stitch is called #140 Threaded Cable Chain Stitch.

You start with a foundation stitch, Cable Chain, and then thread it, either with the same thread or with a different one for  impressive impact.

First I worked on Aida
 It can be tricky to get the threaded loops even, but I try to control the tension by placing my thumb on the loops that have already been formed and taking care not to pull the new loop too tightly. Patience and practice.
On the sampler I used metallic thread in the first example and in the second, I pulled the red thread through the cable links. It made a new pattern!

Many thanks to Sharon Boggon who has taught me so many new stitches and opened doors to how to use these TAST stitches. Have a good TASTy rest in December.

11 comments:

Pamela said...

Beautiful!
You've been so good to keep up. I hope to catch up during the TAST break, then try to keep up after that. You are an inspiration with your creative uses of all these stitches.

Janie said...

Beautiful and interesting experiments, thanks for sharing.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think you are about ready to begin creating your own stitches by now.

Queeniepatch said...

Keeping up is all thanks to Sharon and the weekly TAST program. WIPW, too, keeps me on my toes.
I have been lucky recently to find time for my needlework. When luck changes, I will start lagging behind maybe.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Janie. More experiments will be shown on Wednesday in my WIPW report.

Queeniepatch said...

Wow! Wouldn't that be nice, to create a Queenie Stitch! Should it look like a Q or have a crown I wonder, ha, ha!

margaret said...

this stitch works equally well both straight and on the curve, very nice Queenie

Queeniepatch said...

This stitch is only good on 'look, but don't touch' items like a framed picture, and not on clothes for example. The loops will easily move out of place if you handle the fabric too much.

crazyQstitcher said...

Lovely stitches Queenie. The curves would have been harder to control but you managed well.
I really like your experiment weaving through the link and I imagine with the shorter thread length it would hold the weaving firmer.
I'll try it myself and perhaps could call it Queenie's version.

Queeniepatch said...

Maureen, I am sure there is such a version, and it might have a name already! You are right about the loops staying firmly in place.
I have on my TAST Reference Chart (photo coming up on Wednesday) worked a really nice curvy version of this stitch.

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Certainly an inspirational stitch, that I can find many uses for !
I especially like the ' Queenie's stitch '........Great stuff !
Hugs
Chris Richards xx