Friday 14 November 2014

TAST #137 Beaded Knotted Buttonhole Band

I am late in posting TAST stitch #137, Beaded Knotted Buttonhole Band.

Go to Pintagle to learn this stitch and what TAST stands for.

I tried to place the beads in two ways, between the knots and in the knots. It was much easier to get a good even look when the beads are placed between the knots.

Compare, black beads between and pink beads in the knots.

In the picture below, the best result was when the red beads (working down the left side of the bar) were placed between the knots.
The silver beads are also placed between, but they are worked down the right side (lefthanded stitches?) and the thread has twisted them slightly out of place.
The light blue and golden beads worked inside the knots make a mess! Excellent for rough, wild and boisterous embroidery only, especially when worked down the right side (golden beads).

11 comments:

Pamela said...

Great samples! I'll have to try this one out soon.

Queeniepatch said...

If the thread has a good twist and a bit of a 'grip' it will be easy. Use a slippery one or one without a twist and you will be pulling your hair out!

Annet said...

It's great to see the difference in placement of the beads. The top row in the second photo is very pretty, it reminds me of a zipper.

Janie said...

I enjoy your experiments and samples, very inspiring.

Stitching Lady said...

My main problem is in finding the right needle for the beads. I might have one now, just one. This land is a needle-desert. Nice to see your samples.

Queeniepatch said...

When the beads are placed between the knots they are kept in place by those knots and stay on the outside edge. That means that we get a good view of the bars. If you select your thread and beads carefully it could become a very striking stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

I sometimes use a sharp or milliners needle as they resemble an 'ordinary' needle and aren't wider at the eye area. However, that means it is very hard to use a thick thread. The solution: I use a small amount of glue, or nail polish, on the tip of the thread to keep the fibres together, then firmly shape the end into a sharp point with my fingers. That will make threading a thickish thread into the small eye a bit easier. Then the chance to get the needle and thread through the hole in a smaller beads is a bit better..

crazyQstitcher said...

I fear this stitch has defeated me. My samples of this stitch are so bad I'm embarrassed to post them. I may leave a space on my sampler and try later..or next year.

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Interesting how the beads distort in different placements ! I always use a fine milliners needle for my beads.....
hugs
Chris Richards xx

Queeniepatch said...

Never feel embarrassed to show how tricky a stitch is! However, it might be a good idea to return to the stitch a bit later. I often feel I need to 'digest' and do a much better job after a couple of days/weeks.

Queeniepatch said...

I do, too, but still find it hard to thread from time to time.