Wednesday 22 May 2013

WIPW - Prinsesstårta

This is my Work In Progress Wednesday report on 'Kafferepet', the Swedish coffee party quilt.

So far I have shown the following blocks:
Coffee pot, cup and saucer,  glass of raspberry squash, cinnamon rolls, cup cakes,  platter with seven kinds of biscuits

It is now time for the pièce de résistance, the TÅRTA - a gateau, a cream cake, a decoration cake... The most famous, and probably the most popular, one in Sweden is the Prinsesstårta. Who can guess what the name means? Yes? That's right, the Princess Cake.

It consists of a sponge cake layered with whipped cream, custard cream and, in most cases, raspberry jam. This is then covered with a lid of green marzipan and decorated with a rose or carnation.
Here is a picture of one I made recently for a birthday party:
To see how Camilla Jakobsson makes a professional cake watch this Yutube video here. (Narration in Swedish)

And this is my appliqué interpretation for the Kafferepet quilt.
I topped some green fabric with silver printed organza (similar to the organza used for the pressed glass and ice in previous blocks) in the hope this will look like the frosting sugar, I ruched some pink fabric for the carnation and used lace for the doily.

Another rose has grown on the border:

Over at Pintangle yet another crazy block has sprung to life. Go and have a look at the 'naked' block, then return next Wednesday to see how Sharon has embellished it. I am sure you won't be disappointed!

7 comments:

Stitching Lady said...

One has really to have a close look - is it real? is it a fabric creation -?
Of course I thought it is made of fabric. But that one was edible.

City Krafters said...

Great cake I would love a slice.

margaret said...

would a mouth watering cake, and yours is very good. Also like the rose this piece is coming along a treat

Anonymous said...

The cake looks so good Queenie and your interpretation so life like. Your flower pieces are looking good, I think your finished quilt is going to look fantastic!

J Honda said...

yum!!! my favorite cake - princess cake!!

beautiful blocks Queenie :)

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the cake without the calories and your rose is lovely too.

carorose said...

Oh that does look like frosting, it also looks delicious.